Monday, May 5, 2014

Product Review | Wild Oats - Smoked Bacon Spinach Salad

My workday started from home but, shifted to needing to be in the office for a couple of meetings. I dashed out of the house before packing a lunch for myself so a stop to fresh and easy was in order.

If you haven't been in a while, then the evolution you will see in the store might be a bit jarring.  Personally, I find it handy for quick pit stops like I had this morning (even though I think the beverage cooler at the back of the store makes me think I am in a liquor store).  The grab and go stuff is all upfront, right by the register (exactly where it belongs) and there are a few new additions that you will want to pay attention to.  You will notice several organic offerings branded as "Wild Oats", you can only get the sandwiches, salads, and eggs (product review coming later this month) at your local fresh and easy store.  Each of these offerings is made to be sold within 24 hours. For example, the salad I had today, was made yesterday, delivered last night, and placed on the shelf this morning.  There is a limited supply, so swinging by the store during your morning drive time is perfect.  Right off the bat you will see a couple of differences between the Wild Oats products and the standard sandwiches/salads; the "eco-friendly packages and the slightly higher price. This morning, I picked the Smoked Bacon Spinach Salad for the brown bag lunch meeting I needed to be onsite for.  I will say, this was definitely fresh and and on par with what I would fix for myself at home. Contents were exactly as advertised and I was actually filled by the eight ounces of food.  Was it worth the extra money - in this instance yes. If I was on a restricted diet, had an urge to have organic food, and needed it in a grab and go format (which I have not seen anywhere else); then the slight up-charge is well worth it.

While I am on a product review rant, I am going to get on my soap box and complain about something I did see in the store at Kyrene and Baseline.  Back when the chain launched, they had a "clearance" cooler. You got used to walking in the store and checking the cooler before you started shopping. It was okay, but horribly inefficient for traffic flow.  After the Yucaipa buyout, these stores had switched to keeping clearance items in their original locations and doing away with the separate location.  So, if you were buying steak, you would see the marked down trays in with ones that weren't discounted - and could decide what worked well for you.  Clearly this store didn't get (or care about) that memo and are using a section that is clearly designed for something else (just look at the signage in the photo).  Since this is the store that is the easiest for me to swing into on my way home from the office, I hope it is something they correct in the short term future (especially since this looks like a section that is supposed to help me put together a complete meal quickly).

     

No comments:

Post a Comment