Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Quick and Dirty Steak Prep...

Image Courtesy of Pike Valley Farm Foods
Sometimes there is a meal that you just crave. That was definitely the case tonight. Maybe it was the new grill, perhaps it was the fact that I have not had a decent steak in a long time, or the fact that I did not eat a big lunch (instead of working from home, I went into the office today for a meeting). 

This is a pretty simple meal. The rice from a box and flavored with two each Dorot Garlic and Basil cubes.  The asparagus from a bag (before you judge me for this, remember that I do not cook in a five star restaurant). What I spent the most time on was the steak.

Be sure to start with a decent cut of meat with a good amount of marbling. Personally, I think the strip steak is the best as it comes from a muscle that does not do a lot of work (therefore it is particularly tender). I didn't marinate the meat before leaving for work today so all the prep work happened while the grilled warmed up. If I had been smarter about it, I would have used a ziploc bag and let this marinate in the fridge during the day...

Just 16 Points for Fellow Weight Watchers folks
Quick and Dirty Steak Prep

  1. Use a dinner fork and pierce each side of the steak(s).
  2. Rub Lea & Perrins Worcester Sauce into both sides of the steak. 
  3. Season both sides with Kosher Flake salt and ground pepper (to taste).
  4. Place steak on very hot grill - sear one minute on each side. Reduce heat and cook approximately 5 minutes per side (can vary based on your grill).
  5. In a small saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter. Add onions and saute until golden brown.
  6. Cook steak to internal temperature of 140 degrees - remove and allow to rest for 10 minutes. 
  7. Plate steak last and spread onions/butter mixture over the top of the steak.

Enjoy - I know we did...
New York Strip Steak, schezwan asparagus, and garlic basil brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment