Wednesday, December 31, 2014

First Glance || Blue Apron Box

I have not been so excited to see the UPS guy as I was today. 

After seeing a bunch of ads, I decided to give Blue Apron a try.  Blue Apron is a delivery service that sends you a box of pre-portioned meal ingredients, with recipes (including step-by-step photos), to make three dinners for two people (there are also plans to feed four or six people and you can opt for vegetarian meal only plan). You also have line-of-sight to the expected delivery day/time frame ~ so you can pick a window that fits your schedule. You have access to the following week's menu a week in advance so that you can decide if what is being offered looked appealing before ordering.

Our meals arrived neatly packaged in a cardboard box lined with ice packs to keep the contents fresh (pictured above) for a few hours. The veggies are individually bagged, meats are vacuum sealed, spices are portioned out, and everything is clearly labeled to avoid any confusion. Packing the contents away in the fridge, I was impressed with the quality of what was sent (in some instances better than what I can find readily in my local store). Each recipe was well documented and every single ingredient (except for olive oil, salt, and pepper) is included in the box.

Couple of cautions ~ 

  1. Currently there are no meal plans past 'meat and fish' or 'vegetarian'. Watch the menu carefully for any food allergies or preferences before letting your order drop.
  2. Price point...this works out to $10 per serving per person. I suspect that I could source some of this locally cheaper but, you are paying for the convenience factor. As I reviewed the recipes and compared to the contents of the box I got, the portions seem to be reasonable and I doubt there will be any leftovers.
While the dishes don't seem to be overly original, there are some ingredients and combinations here that I might not normally bring into the house. Additionally, this is a great opportunity for me to hone some of my culinary design skills (my knife work sucks for example).  Expect to see updates here on the dinners we create.

No comments:

Post a Comment