Sunday, December 14, 2014

Egg White Breakfast Bites

There is a shift afoot in my household that has changed the dynamic of the expected morning routine.  Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have a promotion that takes me into the office most days and managed to uncover a way to spend 45 seconds making a healthy, hot breakfast during the week.

I made "Egg White Bites" for the first time last week and discovered that these worked pretty well when paired up with a pre-cooked turkey sausage link. Here is what you will need.

Ingredients:

  • Carton of egg whites
  • Olive oil cooking spray
  • Salt, pepper, or your other favorite seasoning
  • Fresh veggies (I used onion and zucchini but, you can use tomatoes, spinach, kale - or just about anything you would put into an omelet).
  • You will also need a mini-muffin pan. You can use a larger one, but it will take longer to cook.

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  • Spray each indented section with the olive oil cooking spray so that the bottom and sides are lightly coated.
  • Dice your veggies, I was doing this at the same time I was prepping our dinner so, the food processor came in handy.
  • Add to each indented section of the pan. You can fill as much or as little as you want but, do not pack it too tightly in each section. My tip is to fill to about the halfway point...
  • Fill each section with egg whites. Typically, if you use the mini-tins I find that it will take about one tablespoon of egg whites.  If you filled the section with half veggies, you will see some of them mix with the egg whites as you pour them in.
  • Add seasoning.  At the very least, salt and pepper but, you can use whatever you want. This week, I used a bit of Old Bay (we tend to steer towards the savory side) in the tins.
  • Place in the oven. The mini muffin tins will take 10 or so minutes but, if you use a regular size one then I would suggest you double the time.  Check them at the ten minute mark, if they do not look like the ones pictured below, then give them a couple more minutes.


If you aren't eating these right away, allow to cool before moving to a container and placing in the fridge (which was my end goal tonight).  The end product will last about four days in the icebox.

Reheating is a snap.  Times listed work for my 900 watt microwave - yours will vary based on wattage and how much you put on the plate (I typically go with two Egg White Bites and three Turkey Sausage links).
  1. Line a microwavable plate with a paper towel, put food on plate
  2. Cover with another paper towel (I am honestly not sure why paper towels are so magical in the microwave but, trust me on this so that you can avoid the mess that I ran into one morning last week).
  3. Microwave on high for 45 seconds - enjoy after removing the paper towels...
You can add salsa, hot sauce, whatever you normally would with your eggs in the morning. I am making these up on Sunday night so we are good to go for a 45 second investment during the week (which means this boy can get to the gym before going to the office). For those of you tracking your points in Weight Watchers, this is just three...so not a bad kick start to your morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment