Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Chicken Mulligatawny Soup with Kohlrabi & Basmati Rice

Andrew Zimmern, host of 'Bizzare Foods' showed up at my house tonight with a mish-mosh of food.  I cannot remember the last time I used chicken thighs and I never would have brought some of these things (Kohlrabi and Ghee) in the house.


Here is what you will need on your cutting board (makes 2, 580 calorie servings ~ 27 Weight Watchers points per serving and will take you about 40-45 minutes to prepare);
  • 10 Ounces Chopped, Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
  • 3/4 Cup Basmati Rice
  • 1/2 Pound Kohlrabi
  • 1 Carrot
  • 1 Red Onion
  • 1 Lime 
  • 1 Bunch Cilantro
  • 13.5 Ounce Can of Light Coconut Milk
  • 3 Tablespoons Golden Raisins
  • 1 Tablespoon Ghee
  • 1/4 Cup Coconut Flakes
  • 2 Tablespoons of Spices (whole Fenugreek seeds, whole black mustard seeds, ground coriander, ground ginger, ground turmeric, madras curry powder, and cayenne pepper).

You can find the full recipe over at Blue Apron, you do not need to be a subscriber to access the link. A few things that might help your experience;
  • Peel the Kohlrabi before slicing. Also, be sure to cut out the fibrous core at the top (you have to cut around it as it is way too tough to cut through with a chef's knife).
  • Slice the Kohlrabi thin - it will cook down easier.
  • I would suggest cooking the carrots and Kohlrabi at lower heat for a longer amount of time.
  • If I were to make this again, I would suggest that you cook the soup for closer to 40 or so minutes. Do not boil it, the coconut milk will separate.
This was a good meal, the flavors were nice but, this was way more effort than I really wanted to engage in on a Wednesday night after a full day at the office. Maybe I would feel differently if I had done the prep work in advance and come home to just start throwing things in the pot but, this one can stay in the restaurant - where I will cheerfully order it off the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment