Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Finding the One Point Lunch...

My culinary life revolves around points...

Regardless of which healthy eating program you pick, there is some metric that you have to measure against. I am one of those folks that picked Weight Watchers ~ therefore my food choices are 'points' based. Right now, I get 53 'points' per day (in addition to 49 weekly 'cheater' points). The theory is that, provided I do not exceed the point values provided to me (and exercise), I will loose weight. Given that I am down over 55 pounds since joining in January, I would say that it is working for me.

During this journey, I have gotten better about eating breakfast but, now that I am back in an office full time, lunch is a bit more problematic. I am apt to eat at my desk, between calls/meetings, and have found that my selections can leave me with a desire to snack later in the afternoon (I like to save my 'points' for those dinners that you typically see here). 

I had a flash of inspiration last night and figured out my Tuesday lunch as a result of things that were already sitting in the fridge.  Here is what you will need to make a 1 point, tasty, reasonably filling, healthy lunch;

  • 1 Large, Peeled and Chopped Cucumber
  • 1/4 Cup Chunk Light Tuna, drained (packed in water). I used a single serve pack for convenience but, you can use canned if you want.
  • 1 Jalapeno pepper, minced
  • 2 Bunches of Italian Parsley, Chopped
  • Flavor God 'Everything' Seasoning ~ if you don't have this (which I do not understand), then you can use salt/pepper.
  • 1 Cup Sliced Strawberries
  • 8 Ounces Blueberries
  • 2 Plastic containers

Place the cucumbers, jalapeno, and parsley in one of your containers - add the Flavor God seasoning. If storing overnight in your fridge, I like to add a folded paper towel to the top, before closing the lid. I then store it inverted overnight and have found that this helps to keep moisture under control. I just add the tuna the next day and toss the contents to mix. The fruit salad is even easier, slice the strawberries and place in the other container with the blueberries. Like with the first container, I use a folded paper towel and store in the fridge inverted overnight.

This was a perfect fit to pull out and munch on at my desk and a combination that doesn't have me feel like I need to munch more at 3:30 and bonus that it was only a point...


No comments:

Post a Comment