Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I Ate WHAT?!

"I was wrong" (enjoy it - I won't admit it often), last night I didn't serve "yellow radishes" - these are actually yellow beets.  Damn it - I have managed to avoid beets my entire life and we I am eating yellow freaking beets.  

The hell of it is, I liked them. After the fact, I also have an idea of what in the heck to do with these next time (instead of a complete culinary punt)...

Beets 101...

  1. Scrub your beets and cut off the greens and save them.
  2. Do NOT peel the beets. Wrap however many you are going to use in aluminum foil (all in the same packet) and bake at 425 degrees until tender - about 35 minutes.
  3. While the beets are roasting, wash your greens - wrap them in a piece of paper towel and put in the refrigerator to stay crisp until the beets are done. Also, thinly slice at least one clove of garlic - set aside.
  4. When beets have finished roasting, the skins should slip right off. Slice the beets when they have cooled enough to handle, then set aside.
  5. In a large skillet or wok, heat a tablespoon or so of olive oil over med-high heat. Add your sliced garlic and saute a minute or so, until it starts to soften. Add your greens and saute until they are bright green and just wilted. Remove from heat.
  6. Add the sliced beets and toss with a couple shakes of Balsamic vinegar. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. This might just make beets of any kind edible. Maybe adding turkey bacon to the sautee pain with the garlic with a bit of white onion???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I would do both the garlic and onion at the same time. But I do like the idea of the turkey bacon.

    ReplyDelete